The Parliament of Tanzania was established before l independence in 1926 as Legislative Council of Tanzania Mainland, then known as Tanganyika. The Legislative Council was established under Tanganyika Legislative Council Order and Council, a law enacted by the British Parliament. The law was gazetted in Tanganyika on 18th June 1926 and the council was launched in Dar es Salaam on 7th December 1926 under the chairmanship of the Governor of Tanganyika, Sir. Donald Cameron. The council had 20 members all appointed by the Governor. The first major change to the Legislative Council was done in 1953 when the first Speaker was appointed to replace the Governor as chairman of the council. The first speaker took office on 1st November 1953. The second major change was in 1958 when for the first time the Council got few members elected by the people. This marked a very big change in the politics of Tanganyika because it was the first election to be allowed in the colony and it was the first time political parties – that were already registered participated in elections.
NEW VACANCIES AT THE PARLIAMENT OF TANZANIA, APRIL 2023
The government organ is inviting applications from Tanzanians to fill new vacancies. READ FULL DETAILS THROUGH THE PDF DOCUMENT BELOW: